- About Department
- Departmental Composition
- Program & Courses
- Departmental Activities
- Student Support & Student Activities
- Student Connect
The Department of English was established in the year 1884.
The Department of English, Surendranath College (Kolkata), enhances the interpretative and expressive skills of students in an intellectual environment that is stimulating and nurturing. It equips students with both a rigorous knowledge of the subject as well as a critical and analytical ability. It provides an engagement with issues as varied as identity formation, race relations, gender stereotypes, and the politics of language. The emphasis is on an inter-disciplinary approach. The courses have been methodically designed to explore world literature, Indian literature, and literature in translation.
The classes are intellectually stimulating, interactive spaces where students are encouraged to share their own perceptions, ask searching questions, and engage in discussions in an atmosphere that fosters self expression balanced with respect for the right of others to voice their opinions. This spirit is nurtured in a changing classroom that has seen a widening of the student base to include students from diverse socio-economic backgrounds and learning curves. In fact, this extreme diversity becomes a pedagogic tool since the faculty believe that validating the experiences of the diverse student body is an important aspect of the pedagogic goal in a Literature classroom that sees Literature not as an ivory tower product but a contextually produced and socially mediated process.
The Department is privileged to have an extremely passionate faculty whose expertise in critical thinking has been widely acknowledged and whose creative writing as well as research papers has been published extensively.
1. Bachelor of Arts in English Honours (Under C.B.C.S System of Calcutta University)
2. B.A General Programme in English. (Under C.B.C.S System of Calcutta University)
Programme Learning Outcomes (BA Hons. English)
1. The programme learning outcomes relating to BA (Hons) degree programme in English:
2. Demonstrate a set of basic skills in literary communication and explication of literary practices and process with clarity.
3. Demonstrate a coherent and systematic knowledge of the field of English literature and Bhasha literatures in English showing an understanding of current theoretical and literary developments in relation to the specific field of English studies.
4. Display an ability to read and understand various literary genres and stylistic variations and write critically.
5. Cultivate ability to look at and evaluate literary texts as a field of study and as part of the wider network of local and global culture.
6. Demonstrate a critical aptitude and reflexive thinking to systematically analyze the existing scholarship and expand critical questions and the knowledge base in the field of English studies using digital resources.
7. Display knowledge to cultivate a better understanding of values – both literary values that aide us in literary judgment and also values of life at all stages; apply appropriate methodologies for the development of the creative and analytical faculties of students, their overall development of writing, including imaginative writing.
8. Recognize employability options in English studies programme as part of skill development and as career avenues open to graduates in today’s global world such as professional writing, translation, teaching English at different levels, mass media, journalism, aviation communication and personality development.
9. Channelize the interests of the students and analytical reasoning in a better way and make more meaningful choices regarding career after completion of graduate programme.
10. To enable students to develop an awareness of the linguistic-cultural richness of India as an important outcome of English literary studies in India.
Department of English, Surendranath College in collaboration with IQAC is introducing an Online Communicative English Course from 10th July 2021. This course is open for all and certificates would be provided after the successful completion of the course. The evaluation will be done in online mode.
Classes will be held every Saturday from 3 to 5 p.m. in Zoom Platform. The Course Fee is 300/ INR.
Invitation link to join the Whatsapp Group for classes will be sent to the registered participant’s e-mail ID.
REGISTRATION DEADLINE: 07.07.2021
Bank Account Details:
Name of the Bank: Punjab National Bank (Sealdah Branch)
Account Holder’s Name: Surendranath College
Account No.: 1401000100061473
IFSC CODE: PUNB0140100
Payment Options: NEFT/ RTGS/ UPI or any other Bank Payment App.
PLEASE NOTE: THE SCREENSHOT OF THE UTR/TRANSACTION RECEIPT SHOULD BE UPLOADED FOR SUCCESSFUL REGISTRATION.
UNIVERSITY OF CALCUTTA UNDERGRADUATE SYLLABUS
IMPORTANT SITES FOR FURTHER READING MATERIALS
- https://www.gutenberg.org/ (FOR E-TEXT)
- https://archive.org/ (FOR E-TEXT)
- https://z-lib.org/ (FOR E-TEXT)
- https://literarydevices.net/critical-essay/ (FOR LITERARY DEVICES)
- https://www.iep.utm.edu/l/ (FOR ACADEMIC RESOURCES)
- https://www.dartmouth.edu/~milton/reading_room/pl/book_1/text.shtml (Paradise Lost Text with references)