- About Department
- Departmental Composition
- Program & Courses
- Departmental Activities
- Student Support & Student Activities
- Student Connect
Brief History of The Department of Sociology
Long awaited demand for introducing social awareness curriculum acted as the main impetus to initiate introduction of sociology courses in College. Thus it was in 2004 that the department started its journey with one full time contractual lecturer- Nandini Guha. Thus the department has a rich legacy of 18 years . primarily the department succeeded in receiving affiliation for only general degree courses . In 2009, the department fulfilled its long awaited desire for introducing Hons. course in Sociology. To cater the need for honours curriculum tow contractual full time lecturers -Koyena ghosh and Dr. Biva Samadder were appointed in the year 2008. Department has an enriched Seminar Library with a rich collection of textbooks, reference books and journals.
- The Department of Sociology strictly follows the curriculum and teaching learning pattern as instructed by the University of Calcutta.
- The department runs two courses, namely Sociology Hons and Sociology General through both the systems of – a) Part (1+1+1 system) and b) CBCS (Semester- started from 2018.)
- Mode of Teaching-
- B. A. Part I, II, III (H&G)-Offline
- CBCS (H&G)- Offline and Online (from 2020)
- POSTER COMPETITION
- QUIZ COMPETITION
- DEBATE &
- DIFFERENT CULTURAL EVENTS
To sensitize students about such contemporary and socially relevant issues such as Gender, Environment, Research Methodology Department of sociology has organized varied course related lectures. Department has thus arranged several lectures by renowned speakers to enrich student’s creativity and betterment.
Department of sociology has organised several invited lectures by renowned personalities of respective fields on varied topics to cater best possible learning avenues for the students. Department has organized 11 numbers of such invited lectures so far.
Teachers are great mentors in the life of an individual. It is from the teachers that a child learns the sanctioned pursuit of society, internalises the legalised codes of behaviour and finds their ideal in life. Thus, teachers are entrusted not only to introduce the child with the wider spectrum of society, to teach institutionalised curriculum programmes, but to shape the child’s personality, inculcate basic values and traits of life. With this view in mind, Surendranath College, Department of Sociology has initiated running of mentoring classes to extend their cooperation and encouragement for the students to facilitate their problems. The Department of Sociology maintains such mentoring classes twice a month.
- Mentoring started in the year of 2019.
- Number of students- 36
- Number of faculty -3
- 12 students randomly selected for each 3 groups.
- Students are being mentored and guided in various ways to make them enable to understand the society in better way-
- Publication of wall magazine and E-magazines – Suigeneris. Kal darshan
- Economic assistance to students during Amphan, Yaash.
- Organising student webinars to manifest their creative potentiality.
- Field work and survey based research project writing on various social issues.
Departmental E- Magazines
- SUIGENERIS: Department of Sociology made an attempt to highlight varied aspects of our society from the point of view of its practitioners students.
- E-Magazine ‘KAL DARSHAN’ is thus an attempt to unveil their concern about society .
- Department of Sociology aims to nourish creative potentialities of our students
Certificate course in Social Work (CSW)
CERTIFICATE COURSE IN SOCIAL WORK- A two months certificate course. (Proposal submitted in June, and course started from 9th July 2021).
- Completed in August 2021
- 75 students participated
- Participants from our college and other colleges as well.
- After completing the course approx 10 students got admission in Master in Social work in various universities