- About Department
- Departmental Composition
- Program & Courses
- Departmental Activities
- Student Support & Student Activities
- Student Connect
Department of Economics is one of the oldest in this College. Formerly it was known as Department of Political Science and Economics. After 1960-61 it was named as Department of Economics. Since then this department has been fulfilling the educational demand of good number of students. Since inception, this Department has been catering just – in- time service particularly to weaker and marginalised section of the society . This Department offers 2 UG courses (I) B.Sc (Hons.) Degree Course and (II)B.A/B.Sc (General) Degree Course. Both of them are 3 years programme. Stalwarts of this department
- Prof. Bhabotosh Dutta (Ex-Teacher)
- Prof. Kunja Bihari Kundu (Ex-Teacher)
- Dr. Nilabja Ghosh (Ex-Teacher, currently in IEG, New Delhi)
- Bibhuti Bhusan Bandopadhyay (Alumni)
Some of the established Alumni of recent years
- Arindam Bandopadhyay (Associate Prof, Amity University)
- Abhijit Sarkar (Sr. Vice President, Indicus Analytics)
- Seshanwita Das (Assoc. Prof, Amity University),
- Shuvankita Chakraborty (Capgemini)
- Subrata Majumder (Asst. Prof, Sunderban Mahavidyalay)
- Somsuvra Chakraborty (IGATE Global Solutions)
- Sanchita De (Guest Teacher, Gour Mohan Sachin Mandal Mahavidyalaya)
- Madhumita Bose (Manager, The Lalit Great Eastern)
Find us at: facebook, Economics Department Surendranath College (52 members and growing) https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203378786069757&set=gm.435213796685082&type=3
- Bachelor of Science in Economics Honours (Under CBCS System of Calcutta University)
- B.A./B.Sc. General Programme in Economics (Under CBCS System of Calcutta University)
Seminars, Webinars & Workshops
23 April, 2022 | C.B.C.S Curriculum Workshop on Environmental Economics | Collaboration with Bankim Sardar College.
6 July, 2020 | International Webinar on Life & Livelihood of the Migrants in India: Lessons Learnt from the Pandemic
E – Resources
Apart from the Central Library of the college the Department of Economics has its own Departmental Library where the students can avail its facilities. The students can explore the collection of books ranging from Macro Economics, Micro Economics, Statistics, Mathematics, Indian Economy, Public Finance, Development Economics, Environmental Economics, Research Methodology, Reports of the Government and International Organizations and so on to even classics from Bengali and English Literature & Poetry.
The main objectives of the Library are:
- To provide easy access of resources to students so that their interest in academy and research is fostered.
- To help students prepare their study materials as per the course syllabi.
- To make available the books and documents required by faculty members in order to prepare for the instructional courses.
- To bring books, students, teachers and scholars together on a common platform, thereby encouraging reading for pleasure, self discovery, personal growth and sharpening of intellectual curiosity.
- One can enquire in the Department about the procedure to avail access.