- About Department
- Departmental Composition
- Program & Courses
- Departmental Activities
- Student Support & Student Activities
- Student Connect
Brief History of The Department of Psychology The Department of Psychology was established on 10th September, 2001. The department offers a Honours Degree and no degree in the General Course. The subjects which are offered as combinations: (B.A. Degree) General papers are: Sociology, History & Philosophy. (B.Sc. Degree) General papers are: Zoology & Physiology. The students primarily come from the suburban areas (both North & South 24 Parganas) as well as from parts of Central and North Kolkata & also from different districts of West Bengal. The number of sanctioned positions of the department is nil till date and currently there are two Government-approved Contractual Whole Time Teachers & one Government-approved Part-time teacher. There are six Guest faculty members in the department. Total number of existing students for the session 2016-17 in the department are:
|Degree||First Year||Second Year||Third Year|
The department has two laboratories with certain sets of instruments (on an average) per practical topic. The students access the books from the general library of the college. The library has about 169 books in psychology at present. Over the past 5 years the department has gradually acquired the various instruments required for practical work and the different subject-relevant books. Academic and personal counselling of students is carried out from time-to-time depending on the needs and problems of the individual student. Apart from any noticeable deterioration in academic performance, the teachers make an effort to identify any manifestations of underlying psychological problems. Such manifestations include absenteeism, fear of approaching teachers, lack of interaction with classmates, improper behaviour in the classroom and so on. Thereafter, an effort is made to interact with the student on a one-to-one basis and to try and help him/her cope with his/her problems in a healthy way. The Department of Psychology had newly introduced a Counselling Cell for the students of B.A./ B.Sc./ B.Com Part- III for providing guidance and helping them with their career assessment. This cell operates on every Saturday between 11.00a.m to 2.p.m. A framework of the plan of action of the department for the next five years is as follows:
- Inviting experts in the subject from elsewhere to come and interact with the students and teachers and look into topics and sub-topics being taught as well as the method of teaching followed. Thereafter, seeking their expert advice and guidance and applying the same to teaching-learning sessions.
- Holding faculty meetings as well as teacher-student interactive sessions for the proper enhancement of classroom teaching.
- Conducting group discussions on topics on a regular basis.
- Assisting students to gather relevant information about a topic and arranging for them to conduct classes from time-to-time.
- Enhancing laboratory facilities through purchase of instruments.
- Organizing a seminar library in the department.
Through such above mentioned means the teachers of the Department will try to meet the challenges and growing demands of upcoming future of this subject.