Surendranath College Library was started along with the establishment of the Surendranath College in pre-independence period in order to cater to the academic and research needs of the Faculty, Research Scholars, Students and Non teaching Staff.
It is one of the old among college libraries. The college is proud of its Library. The total carpet area is 3283 Sq ft. Apart from Central Library the college has 15 Departmental Libraries under the faculty of Arts, Science, Commerce and Bio Science.
Know your Library
- Duration: Normal College hours on all working days except Sundays & holidays.
- Criteria for membership of Students: All regular students of this College are eligible for the membership.
- How to be a member: By producing acknowledgement card along with money receipt regular students can prepare the Library Card from Library.
- Duration of membership: For an academic session only. Students must renew/ acquire their library cards for the next academic session, as they have to surrender their cards & borrowed books at the time of form fill up prior to University Exam (Library Clearance mandatory).
- Collection: More than 23,000 books are in the central Library and departmental Libraries. Apart from this almost 10,000 old & rare books are also there in the central Library.
Rules & Regulations
- Every honours student may borrow 2 books at a time
- Pass/ General Students may borrow 1 book at a time
- For both cases they may retain the books for maximum 15 days
- Overdue charges beyond the stipulated time period may be imposed according the library rules.
- Books are issued against requisition slip, duly filled up by the students themselves between 11-30 a.m. and 1-00 p.m. & they have to borrow it on the same day between 2 p.m. to 4-00 p.m.
- Students are allowed to go near the closed almirahs for the purpose of book selection. Manual & computerized catalogues are also there for this purpose.
- Please ensure the content of a book before borrowing it, as a borrowed book may not be taken back before stipulated time.
- Students are allowed to choose any books for their reference work after 2-00 p.m.
- Reference books are not allowed to borrow or students are not allowed to leave the reference desk with these books in any case.
- Students are bound to replace the book in case of loss or damage.
- Some rare marked books are there in the almirah & these are generally meant for reference purpose only.
- Keep silence and keep it clean. In all cases of controversies the Library Constitution and Library Rules & Regulation is the final.
- Internet facility
- Reference Service
- Clipping Service for the new arrivals.
- Reading facility of News Papers (One English, One Bengali, One Hindi) and Employment News (Bengali & English)
- The College is a subscriber of NLIST; an e-resource Consortium where from the users can download scholarly articles required by them directly from the publisher’s website. The NLIST project provides access to more than 6,000 e-journals, 95,000 e-books and one database. It is an initiative of Union Human Resource and Development Ministry, Govt. of India.
Suggestions & cooperation
All library staff is very cooperative & eager to solve the problem. Every single suggestion is very vital for the smooth running of the library and for this purpose; students may feel free to contact the Librarian and can gave written suggestion in Suggestion Box.