DBT Star College Scheme
The Star College Scheme was initiated by DBT in 2008 to support colleges and universities offering undergraduate education to improve science teaching across the country. This Scheme was launched for improving critical thinking and encouraging ‘hands on’ experimental science at undergraduate level in basic science subjects. On a larger perspective, the scheme was initiated envisioning that it shall encourage more students to take up higher education in science. Through this scheme the Department identifies colleges with potential for excellence and provides support for developing infrastructure for academics and laboratory activities. This Star College Scheme acts as a gateway and provides exposure to students about other schemes of the Department (and the GOI) to support higher education (post graduate level), graduate research (Ph.D), post-doctoral research, international exchange programs, short term industry-oriented training courses in science. The scheme also acts as a catalyst in igniting young minds (faculty and students) to engage in networking, exposure visits to research institutes and industries and apply for research grants in order to prepare them for future challenges after the successful completion of their undergraduate courses.
- To strengthen the academic and physical infrastructure for achieving excellence in teaching and training
- To enhance the quality of the learning and teaching process to stimulate original thinking through
- hands–on exposure to experimental work and participation in summer schools
- To provide better library facility to students and teachers
- To promote networking and strengthen ties with neighboring institutions and other laboratories
- To conduct specialized training programs for faculty improvement for optimizing technical capabilities
- To increase capabilities of core instrumentation resources by procuring new equipment and upgrading existing facilities
- To provide access and exposure to students to research laboratories and industries in the country
- To help in devising standard curricula and Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s)/kits for practical.